Journal of Behavioral Health and Psychology. 2014; 3(3):(114-318)


Sexual risk behaviors among adolescents attending secondary schools in a Southwestern State in Nigeria

Adeleye Abiodun Adeomi, Oluwatosin Adediran Adeoye, Adefisoye Adewole, Oluwaseyi Israel, Abiola Temitayo-Oboh

Abstract

Introduction: Several studies in Nigeria have reported high rates of risky sexual activities among adolescents. This study, therefore, aimed to describe the sexual risk behaviors among adolescents attending secondary schools in a Southwestern State in Nigeria. Materials and Methods: This was a descriptive cross-sectional study, carried out among in-school adolescents in Osun State, Southwestern Nigeria. The multi-stage sampling technique was used to select the respondents, and data were collected with pre-tested, semi-structured questionnaires which were self-administered and supervised by trained research assistants. A total of 815 questionnaires was administered, but only 786 (96.4%) were properly filled and analyzed using Statistical Package for Social Sciences version 16. Results: Many of the respondents (406, 51.7%) were early adolescents, while the remaining 380 (48.3%) were late adolescents with a mean age of 14.2 ± 2.2 years. One hundred and eight (22.9%) were sexually exposed with a mean age of sexual debut of 12.7 ± 2.7 years. Of the 180 that were sexually exposed, 134 (74.4%) had sex in the month preceding the study, 40 (22.2%) had paid for or demanded for payment for sex before, and only 48 (26.7%) used condom for their last sexual intercourse. Only 2 (0.3%) respondents reported having had sexually transmitted infections (STI), but, 128 (16.3%) had had symptoms suggestive of STI before. Conclusion: There was a high level of sexual risk behaviors among the respondents with 22.9% of them being sexually exposed with a mean age at sexual debut of 12.7 ± 2.7 years. Public health interventions to prevent human immunodeficiency virus/acquired immunodeficiency syndrome should target adolescents in their early ages before they initiate sexual activity.

Most Viewed Article
  • Using Social Media Engagement to Raise Pre-Diabetes Awareness for Rural Idaho Hispanics or Latinos
    Tanna M. Woods PhD MSN RN, Heidi K. Lewis DNP RN and Mary A. Nies PhD RN FAAN FAAHB
    » Abstract » doi: 10.5455/jbh.XXXXXX

  • Evaluating the Gap of Integrated Behavioral Health Programs for NCDs in China, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand
    Ronald R. O’Donnell, Jennifer Rolfes, Shiyou Wu, Mohamed Abdalla, Flavio F. Marsiglia, Pristine Mei, Pham Le An, Puchong Senanuch, Patraporn Tungpunkom, Virya Koy, Hong Tao, Kim Savuon and Rodger Kessler
    » Abstract » doi: 10.33425/2832-4579/21038

  • Occupational Therapy Assessment and Intervention of a 22 Month Old Girl with Feeding Refusal
    Berta Gándara-Gafo PhD, Tania Moriyón-Iglesias MSc and Isabelle Beaudry-Bellefeuille PhD
    » Abstract » doi: 10.33425/2832-4579/21037

  • Biological sex and Covid-19: Science versus ideology
    Carole Jahme and Ulrich Kutschera
    » Abstract » doi: 10.33425/2832-4579/21036

  • A case of chronic schizophrenia with emergent dementia: Successful medication reduction and its explication
    Grace E Jackson and Matthew Tunzi
    » Abstract » doi: 10.33425/2832-4579/21035

Most Downloaded
  • Using Social Media Engagement to Raise Pre-Diabetes Awareness for Rural Idaho Hispanics or Latinos
    Tanna M. Woods PhD MSN RN, Heidi K. Lewis DNP RN and Mary A. Nies PhD RN FAAN FAAHB
    » Abstract » doi: 10.5455/jbh.XXXXXX

  • Evaluating the Gap of Integrated Behavioral Health Programs for NCDs in China, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand
    Ronald R. O’Donnell, Jennifer Rolfes, Shiyou Wu, Mohamed Abdalla, Flavio F. Marsiglia, Pristine Mei, Pham Le An, Puchong Senanuch, Patraporn Tungpunkom, Virya Koy, Hong Tao, Kim Savuon and Rodger Kessler
    » Abstract » doi: 10.33425/2832-4579/21038

  • Occupational Therapy Assessment and Intervention of a 22 Month Old Girl with Feeding Refusal
    Berta Gándara-Gafo PhD, Tania Moriyón-Iglesias MSc and Isabelle Beaudry-Bellefeuille PhD
    » Abstract » doi: 10.33425/2832-4579/21037

  • Biological sex and Covid-19: Science versus ideology
    Carole Jahme and Ulrich Kutschera
    » Abstract » doi: 10.33425/2832-4579/21036

  • A case of chronic schizophrenia with emergent dementia: Successful medication reduction and its explication
    Grace E Jackson and Matthew Tunzi
    » Abstract » doi: 10.33425/2832-4579/21035